Pages



Thursday, February 14, 2013

You know what...

I have to say today is a great day!

I am utterly grateful to have been woken up (if you know me I would NEVER usually say that) to my husband asking me what I did to our kitchen table? He stared at me puzzled as if to suggest that I ruined our wooden table (...again. I did it last week...long story) So needless to say, I abruptly woke up and declared, "no!" in a groggy, post-sickly voice, and went back to sleeping.

This obviously was a trick.

Max again awoke me, and said he really wanted me to get up a take a look at the table. At this, I got out of bed and found the most beautiful white lillies and tulips, along with FOUR of the weirdest combination chocolates that I love.

I am so grateful that my husband knows me and respects me.

I want to make an argument that love and marriage are not for our own satisfaction or pleasure at all. I am pretty darn sure that marriage is a daily (and hard) representation of Christ's unfailing, unfaltering love for us. It was never meant to fulfill our every sexual or physical pleasure. It was meant to give us an example of no matter how often we screw up, sin, and do not live up to the expectations set before us; if we do it right, we should have partner who loves us unconditionally and forgives us always.
...and if we are lucky- the attraction, amazing chemistry, and those silly, giggly times that remind us of when we were little and just about peed our pants will be there along the way as bonuses.

Man am I lucky to have this kind of love. A love free of expectation, or staying a certain weight, or never making mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment